Operating Authority


Per the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration), service providers are required to have Motor Carrier and DOT Numbers for the following services:

  • Operating as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation)
  • Transporting passengers in interstate commerce
  • Transporting or arranging transport for federally-regulated commodities in interstate commerce

Interstate Hauling

Service providers hauling for hire and crossing state lines may need an MC number, based on information provided from the FMCSA.

Our terms and conditions, which are agreed to upon registration, require that you comply with all federal regulations while booking shipments via uShip.

Operating illegally could result in shipments and equipment being impounded, hefty fines, payment forfeiture, and even possible arrest.

If there’s any question about whether or not you need an MC number please contact the FMCSA directly at 1-800-832-5660, as well as your local DOT.

A Note for Shipping Customers

Prior to booking, it’s smart to check with the FMCSA to see if your shipment would require an MC number, which often applies to interstate shipments. A great resource to get started with is their Protect Your Move site.

It’s always advisable to enter into a written contract specifying services, rates, rules, etc. If your chosen provider has submitted an MC number, you can review its status by clicking on it from their profile page.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to continue perusing our Help Center or contact our Member Support team by clicking here.

Was this helpful?