For-Hire Carriers


Per the FMCSA, in general, companies that do the following are required to have interstate Operating Authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number

  • Operate as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation)
  • Transport passengers in interstate commerce
  • Transport federally-regulated commodities or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce

As a Shipping Customer...

Transportation of the following commodities requires a DOT number if intrastate and will require an MC number if crossing state lines: 

  • Household/Office Moves
  • Cars and Light Trucks
  • Heavy Equipment
  • Freight 

Determine exactly what services you need and demand copies of your provider's operating authority, insurance and licensure before doing business. It is always advisable to enter into a written contract, which specifies the services, rates, rules, etc. You can review the status of your provider's DOT number here and an MC number here

If you have booked with a carrier but the person or company that you booked with gave your shipment to someone else to complete without your express permission, please inform Member Support. They may be brokering without authority. This would include carriers that hand off your shipments to couriers like FedEx or UPS.

As a Service Provider... 

Interstate Hauling

Basically, if you are hauling for hire (you are getting paid) AND you are crossing state lines, you will need an MC number. You cannot get an MC number without a DOT number. 

While the FMCSA has made plans to phase out MC numbers in 2016 and transition to DOT numbers only, MC numbers are still being issued at this time as Operating Authority. For more information, review this information for the Unified Registration System (URS). 

You agreed to our terms and conditions when you created your account. Running a business takes time, patience, research, planning and the ability to handle failures gracefully. 

It is important to keep in mind that hauling illegally could result in shipments and equipment being impounded, hefty fines, payment forfeiture, and even a possible arrest. 

Remember, you must legally be able to transport the shipments you book through uShip. And you agree to comply with all laws, rules, statutes and regulations that may apply including any and all local, state and federal licensing requirement. It is your responsibility to know and understand transportation laws as it applies to your business.

We hope this helps you determine whether or not you're ready to start bidding. If there is any question about whether or not you need an MC number please contact the FMCSA directly at 1-800-832-5660 as well as your local DOT.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to continue perusing our Help Center or contact our Member Support team by clicking here.

Was this helpful?